This Victoria sponge recipe is a traditional bake that everyone loves. This recipe is for an 8inch sponge. Victoria sponge is great for a one tiered cake, with multiple layers. If you want tiered cakes we would recommend a Maderia cake mix.The classic Victoria sandwich is always a teatime winner, every bite brings a taste of nostalgia. This recipe is for doing a normal sizes two layer cake. Here is different measurements for different sizes:
6 inch reduce 2oz of each ingredient reduce eggs to 3.
10 inch add an extra 2oz of each ingredient plus 1 egg.
12 inch add an extra 4oz of each ingredient plus 2 eggs.
In fact, with our Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar, you can bake this easy Victoria sponge recipe in any flavour. Try to make it using Salted Caramel Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar, or combine flavours. For example, use our Orange Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar for baking the Sponge and our delicious Jaffa Twist for making buttercream.
If you would like to check our full range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars and Cocoa Powders click here.
In addition, you can fill his classic Victoria sponge recipe with double cream and jam or ganache. This Victoria Sponge cake recipe is also one that you will return to time and time again. Furthermore, this cake doesn’t go dry around the edges.
What is Victoria sponge Cake?
It’s also known as Victoria sandwich, and it is the quintessential British cake.
This Victoria sponge cake (Victoria sandwich), is the classic British tea time treat; simple yet elegant. In fact, this traditional cake is perfect for Birthdays, celebrations or Afternoon as well.
Check more recipes out here.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 140 C Fan, 275 F, Gas mark 1.
2. Place Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar and margarine into a mixer bowl. Blend until light and fluffy.
3. Then, add the eggs and mix well until all is combined.
5. If the mix starts to curdle add a tablespoon of the flour from your weighed out ingredients.
6. Now add flour and fold in, do not mix in. If you mix in you will knock the air out.
7. Now divide your mix between 2 x 8inch sandwich pans – use good quality pans.
8. Put both layers into the oven at the same time one on each shelf. Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes on low.
9. Test with a cake tester to see if its baked.
10. Then, make buttercream mixing our Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar and unsalted butter. Fill the cake with the buttercream.