- Prep Time : 45 minutes
- Cook Time : 01h 45min
- Yield : 6-8
- For the Red Velvet Sandwiches
- Plain Flour - 200g
- Sugar and Crumbs Chocolate Cherry Cocoa Powder - 15g
- Baking Powder - 5g
- Pinch Salt
- Egg - 1
- Unsalted Butter - 85g
- Caster Sugar - 150g
- Red Gel Food Colouring - A good squeeze
- For the Ice Cream
- Double Cream - 600ml
- Sweetened Condensed Milk - 200ml
- Sugar and Crumbs Velvet Vanilla Icing Sugar - 150g
For the Ice Cream:
Mix all the ingredients (except the sprinkles) in a standing mixing bowl on high until thick and creamy. Place into a freezable container and spread out, place in the freezer for 8 hours.
For the Sandwiches:
- Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. (Flour, Cocoa Powder Baking Powder)
- Cream Butter and Caster Sugar together until light and fluffy (3-4 minutes).
- Add the egg, mix in until combined.
- Add red food colouring to the bowl and then slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixer and mix on low.
- Turn the dough out onto clingfilm, press into a disk, wrap well, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll dough out to 1/8inch thick on a well floured surface.
- Cut circles out of the dough and transfer to 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. Re-roll any dough scraps to cut more cookies.
- Poke holes in the cookies with a fork and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 Fan / Gas Mark 4 / 350 Conventional oven.
- Bake cookies for 7-8 minutes for soft cookies, 8-10 for crunchier cookies (the crunchier cookies hold up better to all the handling/smooshing/filling).
- Let cool before sandwiching cookies with Ice Cream.
- Place into the freezer for at least 15 minutes to refreeze the Ice Cream.
Store in the freezer.