Colourful Cupcakes sure to stand out!
- Prep Time : 30 minutes
- Cook Time : 20-22 minutes
- Yield : 12
- Allergens : Nut Free
- Caster Sugar - 170g (6oz)
- Margarine (I use Stork), softened at room temperature - 170g (6oz)
- Self-Raising Flour - 170g (6oz)
- Eggs Medium - 3
- Food Colourings - I used Pink/Yellow/Green/Blue
- Butter - Unsalted - 250g (8 1/2 oz)
- Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar flavour of your choice - 500g (17 1/2 oz)
- Vanilla Essence - 1 Teaspoon
1. Preheat the oven to 170 C, 325 F, Gas mark 3.
2. Line a cupcake tray with cases.
3. Beat the margarine and sugar together until creamy. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides and then add one egg at a time and beat in.
4. Sift the flour over the batter and then fold in. Add the essence and mix on a low speed for 1 minute.
5. Divide between four bowls and then add a different colour to each bowl and mix in well.
6. Start with one coloured batter and add a teaspoon of it to each cupcake case. Repeat with the 3 remaining colours.
7. Bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes or until they spring back when lightly touched (Don't open the oven in the first 15 minutes as they will sink).
8. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack until completely cool.
9. To make the buttercream place the butter in a clean bowl and beat until smooth. Add in the icing sugar a little at a time until all has been mixed in and the mixture is smooth and creamy.
10. Divide between four bowls and add the same colours as used before, one colour in each bowl and mix in well.
11.Take a piping bag and put your chosen nozzle inside. Add a tablespoon of the first colour to the bag to the side. Add in the next colour and again place to the side of the bag. Repeat with the last two colours and then squeeze the bag and close tight. Pipe a little bit into the bowl until the colours all start to come through. Then pipe directly on to your cupcake starting from the outside pipe from the edge in and then build up on top.