- Prep Time : 60 minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Yield : 6
- For the dough, tip the flour into a large bowl with the butter. Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the yeast Sugar and Crumbs Cinnamon Icing Sugar and mix together.
- Slowly pour in the warm water until the dough starts coming together, then add the egg.
- Finally add the salt and knead the dough for 1-2 minutes into a soft ball.
- Cover and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- For the caramel, melt the sugar and the butter, stirring slowly over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add the maple syrup and continue stirring until the caramel gently bubbles. When the caramel is creamy and all the sugar has melted, stir in the vanilla extract. Keep warm.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces, approx. 40g each. Roll into small balls and cover with a damp cloth to prevent them drying out.
- Heat the waffle cone machine. Grease the top and bottom plate with a little oil. Place one dough ball in the middle, press down the top lid and bake each waffle for 1-2 minutes until dark golden and puffed up. Remove from the machine and place on a chopping board.
- Working quickly, while the waffle is still hot, cut the waffle into a circle using a 10cm round metal cutter, then slice it horizontally in half.
- Place a generous tablespoon of caramel on top of the bottom waffle, place the top of the waffle on top and gently push down, until the caramel spreads to the edges. Place on a wire rack to cool and continue with the rest of the dough.
Credits:Recipe adapted from The Great British Bake Off Blog