Delicious and fruity cupcakes with a surprise filling, perfect if you want to try something new.
In this recipe I have used Icing sugar instead of caster sugar for a lighter sponge and to add flavour.
You can also do 1/2 Sugar and Crumbs Pina Colada Icing Sugar and 1/2 Plain Icing Sugar for the buttercream for a more subtle taste.
- Prep Time : 30 minutes
- Cook Time : 18-22 minutes
- Yield : 12
- Sugar and Crumbs Pina Colada Icing Sugar - 500g
- Butter Unsalted - Softened - 250g
- Milk - 1-2 Tbsp or As needed
- Self Raising Flour - 6oz/170g
- Sugar and Crumbs Coconut Icing Sugar or Caster Sugar - 6oz/170g
- Margarine (I use Stork) - 6oz/170g
- Eggs Medium - 3
- Pineapple Jam - 160g
- Desiccated Coconut - For Garnish
- Warm boiled water - 1 Tbsp
- Baking Powder - 1 Tsp
1) Preheat the oven to 170c and put 12 Cupcake cases in a cupcake tray.
2) In a bowl or mixer add the Margarine and Coconut Icing Sugar, mix until combined.
3) Add the eggs, mix for minute on a medium speed then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
4) Add the flour and baking powder, a tbsp of warm boiled water and fold the mixture until combined.
5) Use a ice cream scoop or tablespoon to evenly divide the mixture between the cases so they are 3/4 full.
6) Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes or until golden and the sponge springs back when touched.
Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before placing on a wire cooling rack.
7) To make the buttercream add the butter, milk and Pina Colada Icing Sugar together in a bowl or mixer and beat until creamy, add more milk as needed a tbsp at a time.
8) Add the buttercream to a piping bag with the nozzle of your choice already inserted.
9) Once the Cupcakes are cool, use a tsp or cupcake corer to remove the centre of the cake, put the pineapple jam in a piping bag and snip off the end, squeeze the jam into the centre of the cupcake. Take the buttercream piping bag and pipe the buttercream on top of the cupcake as you desire, repeat to all are filled and buttercreamed.
10) Sprinkle the desiccated Coconut over the cupcakes for decoration.
For a more fun garnish add a cocktail stick with Pineapple wedges and cherries.