Madeleines are a traditional French cake, beautifully light because of the way the batter is made, and often flavoured with lemon. In this case, we’ve gone for a bit of a twist and used Sugar and Crumbs Orange Zest Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (or any flavour of your choice). They’re absolutely perfect served warm with morning coffee.
Note: you’ll need a madeleine tin to make these properly but they’re pretty inexpensive to buy.
- Prep Time : 25 minutes
- Cook Time : 12 minutes
- Yield : 24
1. Start by weighing out the honey, butter and margarine in a microwaveable bowl. You can use all butter if you prefer but I think using some margarine gives you a lighter texture. Microwave in thirty second bursts, stirring each time, until completely melted and combined. Set aside.
2. Whisk together the eggs, caster sugar and Sugar and Crumbs Orange Zest Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (or any flavour of your choice) until the mixture has tripled in volume and looks pale and frothy. Gently fold in the flour and then the butter and honey mixture, taking care to preserve the lovely airy texture. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge to rest for a few hours.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 190° C, 180° C fan, 350 F, Gas mark 4.
4. Grease the madeleine tin and place a teaspoonful of mixture in each depression. Don’t add too much, or it will overflow during cooking. Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
5. Allow the madeleines to cool in the tin for a few minutes then gently ease them out of the tin and serve warm with an extra sprinkling of Sugar and Crumbs Orange Zest natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (or any flavour of your choice.