A beautiful and light summery dessert with a punch of flavour, the smooth creamy mousse balances the Mango and passionfruit Curd out wonderfully
- Prep Time : 25 minutes
- Cook Time : 25 minutes
- Yield : 12
- Large Eggs - 4 Room Temperature
- Caster Sugar - 135g
- Self Raising Flour - 80g
- Butter unsalted - 45g Melted
- Vanilla essence - 1 Tsp
- Mango Curd
- Fresh Over Ripe Mango Chopped - 125g Chopped and squashed into a puree
- Sugar and Crumbs Mango and Passionfruit Icing Sugar - 100g
- Eggs Large - 2
- Butter - unsalted - 70g cut into pieces
- Mango and Passionfruit Mousse
- Sugar and Crumbs Mango and Passionfruit Icing Sugar - 125g
- Double Cream - 450ml
- Gelatine Powder - 2 Tsps ( 4.5g) or 2 leaves
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350c. Lightly grease an 8" square spring form tin and line with a piece of parchment paper.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a clean bowl. Place over a saucepan of simmering water and whisk until mixture is warm (you want to whip up the egg without actually cooking it).
- Put the egg mixture into a bowl of a stand mixer and whisk until it forms soft waves.
- Sift the flour over the egg mix and carefully fold in with a spatula.
- Combine the melted butter and vanilla essence together in a small bowl. Pour a bit of the egg batter into the butter and stir together. Pour all of the butter then back into main batter and fold in to combine.
- Pour batter into the tin and smooth out evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes until top is golden brown and springs back when you press it lightly.
- Remove from oven and let it cool on wire rack for about 10 minutes before removing from the tin. Let finish cooling on wire rack.
For the Mango Curd
- Whisk mango puree, icing sugar and eggs together in a metal bowl. Place over saucepan of simmering water.
- Cook for about 6 minutes, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens and coats back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat. Add butter several pieces at a time and stir until fully combined. Pour curd into a container and press piece of plastic wrap against surface. Cover and chill until ready to use.
For the Mousse
- Make the mousse right before you are ready to assemble the cake. Sprinkle gelatin powder evenly over 6 teaspoons (30ml) of water in a small bowl. Let it dissolve for about 5 minutes until it is a solid mass.
- Add the icing sugar into a saucepan. Add the gelatin. Cook on medium heat until gelatin is melted and incorporated into the sugar.
- Let cool but don't let the mixture set.
- Whip the double cream to soft peaks and then carefully add in the sugar, gelatin mix and fold in until combined
- Line the 8" square spring form tin again
- Place the layer of cake in the bottom of the tin . Spread a thick layer of mango curd over the cake layer.
- Pour the mango mousse over the top of the cake layer and spread evenly. Place in refrigerator to set for about an hour
- Cover with grated white chocolate to decorate