Beautiful cake in looks and taste, a wow factor dessert, add a little Lemon Zest, Fruit Jelly Pieces or Glitter for decoration.
- Prep Time : 01h 30min
- Cook Time : 22 minutes
- Yield : 12 plus
1) Preheat your oven to 180C and grease or line 3 x 7 inch cake tins.
2) Cream together the Caster Sugar (or Icing Sugar if using, do not use the essence if using icing sugar as the flavour will come through) with the Margarine until fully combined.
3) Add in the Eggs, and mix fully.
4) Sift the Flour and Baking Powder together in a separate bowl then add to the wet ingredients, add the hot water, and essence, mix until combined being careful to not beat out the air.
5) Split the mixture between the 3 tins equally. Bake in the oven for 18 to 22 Mins until golden and springy to the touch.
Note : Resist opening the door in the 1st 15 Mins as the cakes wont rise as well.
6) Take out of the oven and leave in the tins for 10 mins to cool, before putting on a wire baking rack.
1) In a mixer cream together the Butter and Icing Sugar with a little milk until creamy for piping.
2) Divide the Buttercream mixture between three bowls and add a little yellow colouring to one, orange to the next and leave the 3rd as it is. Use a spoon to mix the colouring in, I have used a tiny drop on a cocktail stick to get a more subtle shade.
3) Put aside about 2 heaped Tablespoons of Buttercream for sandwiching the layers together later, Put each colour Buttercream in a separate bag, making sure you have placed a round end nozzle in each beforehand.
Once the cakes have cooled
Place the 1st layer on a cake stand, then use a small palette knife to spread the Lemon Curd across the whole cake evenly.
Follow this with a thin layer of Buttercream (that you put aside earlier)
Add the next layer on top and repeat above .
To start decorating pick your 1st colour Buttercream bag and starting from the bottom pipe a small blob on to the side of the cake, by applying pressure and releasing, use a small pallete knife to then push on the centre of the blob then swipe across, repeat with the next colour at the middle of the swiped bit and so on, until you have gone all the way round.
Start your next layer above the 1st layer with a different colour( so if you started with orange the one above should be white or yellow), repeat on the next layer.
On the top of the cake use the same method but continue with the same colour all the way round and then repeat with the next colour until you have worked your way to the middle, Finish by putting one big blob in the centre.