Lemon Drizzle Cake
A delicious and zesty Lemon Drizzle cake thats so easy to make!
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 50 minutes
- Yield : 12
- Allergens : Nut Free
- Self-Raising Flour - 400g (14 3/4 oz)
- Butter or Margarine - 400g (14 3/4 oz)
- Eggs Medium - 8
- Sugar and Crumbs Lemon Drizzle Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (or any flavour of your choice) - 200g (7 oz)
- Golden Caster Sugar - 200g (7 oz)
- For the Buttercream
- Butter Unsalted - Softened - 125g (4 1/2 oz)
- Sugar and Crumbs Lemon Drizzle Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (or any flavour of your choice) - 250g (8 1/2 oz)
- Lemon Curd - 2 Tablespoons (optional)
- For the Drizzle
- Cooled Boiled Water - 2-3 Teaspoons
- Sugar and Crumbs Lemon Drizzle Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (or any flavour of your choice) - 50g (1 3/4 oz)
Lemon Drizzle Cake
1. Grease and line two 8 inch/20cm cake pans. Pre-heat the oven to 160 C, 300 F, Gas mark 2.
2. Beat together the butter/margarine and caster and Sugar and Crumbs Lemon Drizzle Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (or any flavour of your choice) until combined.
3. Add the eggs one at a time beating in between until they are all used up.
4. Add in the flour and fold in with a spoon before mixing for about a minute.
5. Separate the mixture between the two cake pans evenly and place in the oven to bake for a approx 50 minutes or until golden in colour and a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
6. Once baked take out of the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
7. To make the buttercream beat the butter and icing sugar in a clean bowl until fully combined. Add a tablespoon of hot water if it is not going creamy.
8. Place the first cake on a serving plate and slice off the top so it is level then add layer of the lemon curd if using spreading evenly to the edges of the cake with a spatula.
9. Now add the buttercream depending on whether you want a deep cake or just a small thin layer its up to you. Make sure you spread it evenly.
10. Next add the next cake layer on top. To make the drizzle you need to add the Sugar and Crumbs lemon Drizzle Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (or any flavour of your choice) to a small bowl and then add the water a little at a time until you get a thick but runny consistency. Use this to even spread or drizzle across the top of the cake. To finish, I've added the lemon jelly pieces available in our online shop too!
Here is a YouTune video tutorial for Lemon Drizzle Loaf Cake instead of an actual cake in cake tins.