This Lemon Chiffon Layer Cake recipe is made by Rose Bakes. We have adapted the recipe using our Sugar and Crumbs Lemon Drizzle Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar. In fact, with our Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar, you can bake this easy cake in any flavour. Try to make it using Salted Caramel Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar, or combine flavours. For example, use our Orange Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar for baking the cake and our delicious Jaffa Twist for making the cream.
If you would like to check our full range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars and Cocoa Powders click here.
In addition, the cake is light and airy – with a not-too-sweet whipped cream frosting and filled with creamy delicious Lemon Curd.
This recipe is also one that you will return to time and time again. Furthermore, the cake doesn’t go dry around the edges.
Check more recipes out here.
Ingredients Lemon Chiffon Layer Cake
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 F, 180 C, Gas mark 4.
For the frosting.
2. Whip the double cream and the Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar until stiff peaks form.
3. Gently fold in the lemon curd and combine well.
4. Then, cover and refrigerate.
For the cake.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the six egg yolks, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and water.
6. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and 200g of our Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar.
7. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Mix until smooth and set aside.
8. In a mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites and cream of tarter until light and foamy.
9. Then, slowly add in 140g of our Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
10. Stir about 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the cake batter and mix. Gently fold in the remaining egg white mixture.
11. Divide the batter between the 3 prepared 8″ tins. Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes, or until the cake springs back when touched with your finger.
12. Place the hot pans on a wire rack and allow the cakes to cool in the pans. Once cool, run a blade around the edge of the cake and invert to remove the cake from the pans. Peel away the parchment paper.
13. To assemble the cake, place one layer on a cake pan, then generously spread lemon curd over the top. Add the next layer of cake and repeat. Place the third cake on top.
14. Frost the top and sides with the whipped lemon cream frosting. Chill until ready to serve!
How to store your Lemon Chiffon Layer Cake
Be sure to cover tightly but do not refrigerate. If you do not have a cake keeper, cover the cake with a large inverted bowl, cover it with foil, or store in a large airtight container.
Store at room temperature for approximately 5 days. Freeze for longer storage, up to 3 months.