If you’ve never made your own baked pie before, you’ll be amazed at how quick and easy this Key Lime Pie Recipe is.
Why not recreate this old time favourite with our Sugar and Crumbs Key Lime Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar.
What is Key Lime Pie ?
Above all this type of baked pie, is typically served for dessert. As a result, the crust is made of a biscuit crumb base, key lime filling and a fluffy double cream topping.
Once the pie has cooled, it is best to eat the same day. However, you can keep it refrigerated up to 2-3 days. Avoid storing the pie outside of the refrigerator for more than 2 hours.
In addition, you can also try our other Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars! in our range, give them a delightful twist of flavour.
If you would like to check our full range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars and Cocoa Powders click here.
Check more recipes out here.
1. Preheat the oven to 160 C, 300 F, Gas mark 2.
2. Prepare an 8-inch baking tin by rubbing with a little butter.
3. Crush the hob knobs/ginger nut biscuits until they resemble small crumbs and set aside.
4. Melt the butter in a small pan until it turns to liquid. Mix the butter with the biscuit crumbs until they are all combined and then spread them evenly across the baking tin and halfway up the sides. This helps the pie to hold when sliced. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Leave to one side.
5. In a separate mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they have completely broken up then add the condensed milk. Whisk again until fully combined, add 40g of the Sugar and Crumbs Key Lime Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar and whisk for 1 more minute.
6. Pour into the baking tin on top of the biscuit base and spread evenly. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, take out and leave to cool. Once cooled refrigerate to set for approx 2 hours it should not wobble when touched.
7. When ready to serve, remove from the tin and place on a serving plate. Beat the double cream with the remaining 50g Sugar and Crumbs Key Lime Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar.
8. Using a piping bag with a nozzle of your choice, pipe a pattern or pipe drops on to the top of the pie.
9. Finish by grating some lime zest over the top and dust with Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar.
Baked by Laura Stafford