These little buns are filled with raspberry jam and rolled in Sugar and Crumbs Lemon Drizzle Icing Sugar, and we think they’re the perfect cross between a light, fluffy muffin and a crisp sugary doughnut. You could also experiment with fillings and flavours – try cherry jam and a coating of Sugar and Crumbs Black Cherry Icing Sugar for a tasty twist.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Yield : 10
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (180°C fan). To make the batter for the muffins, beat together the milk, oil, egg and vanilla extract. Then add the flour and caster sugar and whisk again – just for a minute or two. You should never over-beat a muffin mixture or the end result will be chewy, so just get rid of the big lumps and don’t worry about little ones.
- Next, thoroughly grease a 12 hole bun tin with butter or margarine. Half-fill ten of the holes with the batter, and then carefully add a small teaspoonful of jam (about the size of a penny) to the middle of each – don’t be tempted to add too much.
- Finally, top off each one with another spoonful of batter, making sure it completely covers the jam and almost fills the hole. Place in the oven and set a timer for twenty minutes.
- When the timer goes, remove the muffins from the oven and allow them to cool in the tin for a few minutes, before gently easing them out with a knife. Place on a cooling rack.
- When the buns are cold enough to handle comfortably, sprinkle Sugar and Crumbs Lemon Drizzle Icing Sugar onto a plate and roll each bun in the sugar so that it’s well coated. Just like homemade doughnuts, these muffins are best eaten fresh, so serve straightaway with a cup of tea.