Who doesn’t love Iced Buns? These buns are so fluffy and taste delicious covered in our Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (flavour of your choice) made into a thick icing.
In addition, this recipe is very easy and quick to make and it’s perfect for any occasion.
These Iced Buns are a must for us at Christmas time. They remind us of holidays past and of many wonderful memories made. We have used Strawberry Milkshake flavour as the inspiration for this modern, trendy dessert that is all fun and no fuss to make.
Furthermore, you can store the finished Iced Buns in an airtight container. We find that after 3 to 5 days they’ve usually dried out a bit, but they generally keep pretty well. You can also put in lunch boxes all week long.
In addition, you can also try making this recipe using our amazing range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars and Cocoa Powders! Try to combine them too.
If you would like to check our full range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars and Cocoa Powders click here.
Check more recipes out here.
What are Iced Buns?
An all time favourite made as a soft bun with a delicious iced topping and the optional addition of fresh cream filling.
1. Sift the flour and salt in to an oven proof bowl and place in a warm oven for a few minutes.
2. Take out of the oven and rub in the butter. Stir in the sugar and dried yeast, make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, and add the eggs and milk.
3. Cover your hands in a tiny amount of oil to stop the dough from sticking. Using your hands work the dough into a soft elastic dough and then knead heavily for 10 minutes or use a dough hook in a mixer.
4. Cover the dough with some cling film and leave in a warm place to rise. This will take approx 1 1/2 hours.
5. Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured dusted surface and knead gently for 1 minute. Divide into 12 pieces, shape into a long buns and place them on a oiled baking sheet spaced apart on two rows. Cover again with clingfilm that has been covered in oil and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
6. Pre-heat the oven to 220 C, 425 F, Gas mark 7.
7. When the buns have finished rising bake for 10 minutes then turn down to 190 c, 375 F, gas mark 5 and bake for 2 more minutes. The buns will double in size and will be touching each other when baked. Put on a wire cooling rack to cool fully.
8. To make the icing mix the Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar with the lemon juice a bit at a time until you get a smooth, thick icing. Add food paste colouring if using and mix in well.
9. Spread over the bun and decorate with sprinkles.