Who doesn't love an iced bun? These buns are so fluffy and taste delicious covered in our Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (flavour of your choice) made into a thick icing.
- Prep Time : 20 + Proving 2 Hours minutes
- Cook Time : 12 minutes
- Yield : 12
- Allergens : Nut Free
- Plain Flour - 500g (17 1/2 oz)
- Butter Unsalted - Softened - 60g (2 3/4 oz)
- Caster Sugar - 90g (3 1/4 oz)
- Eggs Medium - 2 Beaten
- Salt - Pinch of
- Easy Bake Dried Yeast - 7g (1/4 oz)
- Warm Milk - 225ml
- Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar flavour of your choice - 175g (6oz)
- Lemon Juice - 1-2 Teaspoon
- Sprinkles - For Decoration
- Food Colouring - Optional
1. Sift the flour and salt in to an oven proof bowl and place in a warm oven for a few minutes.
2. Take out of the oven and rub in the butter. Stir in the sugar and dried yeast, make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, and add the eggs and milk.
3. Cover your hands in a tiny amount of oil to stop the dough from sticking. Using your hands work the dough into a soft elastic dough and then knead heavily for 10 minutes or use a dough hook in a mixer.
4. Cover the dough with some cling film and leave in a warm place to rise. This will take approx 1 1/2 hours.
5. Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured dusted surface and knead gently for 1 minute. Divide into 12 pieces, shape into a long buns and place them on a oiled baking sheet spaced apart on two rows. Cover again with clingfilm that has been covered in oil and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
6. Pre-heat the oven to 220 C, 425 F, Gas mark 7.
7. When the buns have finished rising bake for 10 minutes then turn down to 190 c, 375 F, gas mark 5 and bake for 2 more minutes. The buns will double in size and will be touching each other when baked. Put on a wire cooling rack to cool fully.
8. To make the icing mix the Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar with the lemon juice a bit at a time until you get a smooth, thick icing. Add food paste colouring if using and mix in well. Spread over the bun and decorate with sprinkles.