We would like to thank Robert Allen who gave us this recipe
- Prep Time : 1h 30 min
- Cook Time : 55 minutes
- Yield : 8
- Baked Custard
- Plain Flour - 225g (8 oz)
- Diced Butter - 100g (3 1/2 oz)
- A pinch of salt
- Baked (Banana) Custard Tart
- Shortcrust Pastry - 300g (10 1/2 oz)
- Whole Eggs - 4
- Egg Yolks - 3
- Sugar and Crumbs Banana Split Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (or any flavour of your choice) - 3 Rounded Dessert Spoons
- Full Cream Milk
For the Baked Custard:
1. Pre heated oven to 160C fan, 180C, Gas mark 4.
2. Sift the flour into a large bowl.
3. Add the diced butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Alternatively, put the flour and butter into a food processor and pulse, until you have a breadcrumb texture.
3. Stir in the salt.
4. Add 2-3 Tablespoons water and mix until the dough comes together.
5. Knead the dough slightly.
6. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes before using.
For the Baked (Banana) Custard Tart:
7. Crumple a piece of baking paper, open and line your bowl.
8. Mix the pastry, roll out until it's the thickness of a pound coin and line your bowl. Trim off the excess pastry.
9. Crack 4 eggs into a jug. Add a further 3 Egg Yolks to this.
10. Add the Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar and beat well until all combined.
11. Then add enough milk to make up to 650ml, in your jug.
12. Place your bowl onto a tray and pour the mixture into your uncooked pastry base.
13. Add freshly grated nutmeg across the top of your egg mix.
14. Bake in a Pre-heated oven for 55 minutes (All ovens are different so this may vary slightly).
Your Baked Custard should still have a slight wobble, once cooled this will set sufficiently.
Here is the link to the YouTube video tutorial for this recipe.