In addition, you can also try baking egg custard using our amazing range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars! If you would like to check our full range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars and Cocoa Powders click here.
We would like to thank Robert Allen who gave us this yummy recipe.
225g Plain Flour
100g Diced Butter
A pinch of salt
Baked Custard Tart
300g Shortcrust Pastry
4 Whole Eggs
3 Egg Yolks
3 Rounded Dessert Spoons Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar of your choice
Full cream Milk
1. Pre heated oven to 160C, fan 180C, Gas mark 4.
For the Baked Custard
2. Sift the flour into a large bowl.
3. Add the diced butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Alternatively, put the flour and butter into a food processor and pulse, until you have a breadcrumb texture. Then, stir in the salt.
4. Add 2-3 Tablespoons water and mix until the dough comes together.
5. Knead the dough slightly.
6. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes before using.
For the Baked Custard Tart:
7. Crumple a piece of baking paper, open and line your bowl.
8. Then, mix the pastry, roll out until it’s the thickness of a pound coin and line your bowl. Trim off the excess pastry.
9. Crack 4 eggs into a jug. Add a further 3 Egg Yolks to this.
10. Add the Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar and beat well until all combined.
11. Then add enough milk to make up to 650ml, in your jug.
12. Place your bowl onto a tray and pour the mixture into your uncooked pastry base.
13. Add freshly grated nutmeg across the top of your egg mix.
14. Bake in a Pre-heated oven for 55 minutes (All ovens are different so this may vary slightly). Your Baked Custard should still have a slight wobble, once cooled this will set sufficiently.