Looking for a creative way to say I love you? These edible Valentines are sweet in more ways than one. Light, buttery cookies are made with Sugar and Crumbs Velvet Vanilla Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar and topped with fondant icing to turn them into envelopes and kisses. The finished effect is rather fabulous but actually, quite easy to put together once you get the hang of a few simple skills.
A note on the process – the cookies themselves don’t take very long, but the dough needs an hour to chill, so do bear this in mind. You’ll need a lip-shaped cookie cutter for this recipe.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180° C, 160° C fan, 300 F, Gas mark 2.
2. Start by making the cookies. Cream together the butter and Sugar and Crumbs Velvet Vanilla Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar.
3. Add the egg white and beat again.
4. Finally, mix through the plain flour and baking powder until you have a soft, dry dough – you may need to knead it for a few minutes just to bring it all together.
5. Lay out a sheet of greaseproof paper on a baking tray or cookie sheet. Place the dough on top and then put another sheet of greaseproof paper on top of that.
6. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out, between the two sheets of paper, to about 4mm thick. Place in the fridge for an hour.
7. Cut the chilled dough into 12 small rectangles (around 7cm by 4cm) for the envelopes. Squidge together the remaining scraps, roll out again and use to cut out the kisses. Repeat until you’ve used all the dough.
8. Line a couple of baking trays with greaseproof paper (you can reuse the pieces from earlier) and arrange the cookies on top. They won’t spread much in cooking, but leave a little space between them just in case. Bake for 12 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
9. To decorate, roll out the fondant icing to around 3mm thick. Use the same cutter to create pink icing shapes for the kisses. Cut the white icing for the envelopes by hand, making it just a little smaller than the cookies. Use a little gel icing to stick each piece of fondant to the cookie underneath.
10. To finish, use the black gel icing to create the envelope design and seal each one with a sugar heart. Use the point of a knife to create the puckers in the lips. Keep in an airtight container.