This is a last minute Christmas cake, you only need 5-7 days before you bake.
This easy Christmas cake is so easy to make, it’s lovely and moist, if you don’t want to cover, just use it as a delicious fruit cake, you can bake in any type of cake tin, round square or even a loaf tin.
Use your choice of dried fruit, nuts, citrus zest and alcohol (or fresh orange juice, cool tea if you prefer not to use alcohol).If you would like to check our full range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars and Cocoa Powders click here.
This recipe is one that you will return to time and time again.
Check more recipes out here.
1. Place all dried ingredients into a bowl, stir together with choice of alcohol, we’re using Dark Rum you can use Brandy or Whisky if you prefer. Do this for one week. However, if you want to keep this Alcohol free then use Fresh orange juice, or cool tea without milk. Keep mixed ingredients in a sealed airtight container.
The Following Week prepare you cake batter
2. Preheat oven to 140 C Fan, 150 C, Gas mark 2.
3. You will need to prepare your cake mix.
4. Place Stork margarine or butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat until light and fluffy.
5. Beat in eggs one by one with the dark treacle.
6. Take bowl away from the mixer, fold in flour, spices, nuts (optional) and the soaked fruits.
7. Place in a greased and double lined 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin or tin of choice.
8. Bake on middle shelf of preheated oven 150°C, 140°C fan, Gas mark 2.
9. Check cake after first 2 ½ hours, then at regular ½ hourly intervals until cooked.
10. Allow to cool on a cooling rack before removing from tin.
11. Marzipan: Brush the cake with apricot jam.
12. Roll out the marzipan into a circle large enough to cover the cake.
13. Cover cake
14. Allow marzipan to dry 48 hours before icing.
15. When ready decorate your cake to your chosen design.