Coffee and Almond Shortbread Shortbread is such a great thing to make because it’s really simple.
This shortbread can easily be dressed up to create something rather elegant, as in this case with the combination of Sugar and Crumbs Vanilla Latte Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar and chopped almonds.
What are Coffee and Almond Shortbread?
Shortbread is a traditional Scottish biscuit usually made from one part white sugar, two parts butter, and three parts plain wheat flour. Other ingredients like ground rice or cornflour are sometimes added to alter the texture.
In addition, you can also try making this shortbread using our amazing range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars! If you would like to check our full range click here.
Check more recipes out here.
1. Weigh out the butter and chop roughly, before leaving to soften a little. If you’re in a hurry, you could use the microwave, but be careful not to actually melt it.
2. Add the caster sugar and Sugar and Crumbs Vanilla Latte Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (or any flavour of your choice) and beat together to make a pale fluffy mixture. You might prefer to do this with an electric mixer.
3. Add the plain flour, cornflour (this is a great little trick for achieving really crisp, crumbly shortbread) and chopped almonds and mix to create a soft, dry dough.
4. Use your hands to bring it together, but don’t knead it, otherwise the heat of your hands will start melting the butter and this will affect the final texture. Instead, shape it into a log about 20cm long and wrap tightly in clingfilm. Place in the fridge for about an hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 170° C, 160° C fan, 325 F, Gas mark 3. Unwrap the prepared dough and use a sharp knife to slice it into rounds about 2cm thick. Arrange on a well-greased baking tray and place in the oven for 23 minutes.
6. Remove the cookies from the oven and immediately, while they’re still hot, sprinkle generously with caster sugar.
7. Leave them to cool for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container.