If you haven’t tried making baked doughnuts yet, you’re seriously missing out. All you need is a doughnut tin, which isn’t very expensive, and then you can create your own, slightly healthier doughnuts at home. These chocolate ones are incredibly light and fluffy, flavoured with Sugar and Crumbs Chocolate Lime Cocoa Powder, and topped with glossy melted chocolate, lime zest and desiccated coconut. You can, of course, go the old-school route and top them with multi-coloured sprinkles, but I think the green and white is rather elegant.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 10 minutes
- Yield : 12
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (160°C). Weigh out and mix together the plain flour, Sugar and Crumbs Chocolate Lime Cocoa Powder, baking powder, baking soda and granulated sugar. Then add the butter and rub it into the dry ingredients with your fingers, until you have a mixture resembling coarse breadcrumbs.
2. Beat together the milk, crème fraiche and eggs until smooth, and then stir into the flour mixture until just combined – don’t overmix it, or the doughnuts will turn out a bit tough.
3. Grease the doughnut tin with a little more butter. Transfer the doughnut mixture to a piping bag, and then pipe into the tin – you want to fill the depressions almost to the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, until the doughnuts are well-risen and springy.
4. Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes, before transferring to a wire rack – the doughnuts should come out of the tin easily, once you loosen them a little with a knife.
5. While the doughnuts are cooling, break up the chocolate and melt in the microwave, using bursts of no more than thirty seconds and stirring between each one.
6. Dip the doughnuts into the melted chocolate one by one, and then sprinkle with lime zest and desiccated coconut. They’ll be at their best if served straightaway.