This Chocolate Coconut Butterfly Buns recipe looks very elegant, perfect for a grown-up tea party.
In addition, we have decided to add that extra coconut flavour using our natural flavoured cocoa powders.In fact, with our Natural Flavoured Cocoa Powder, you can bake these easy buns in any flavour. Try to make it using Chocolate Cherry Natural Flavoured Cocoa Powder, or combine flavours. For example, use our Chocolate Organge Flavoured Cocoa Powder for baking the buns and our delicious Orange Zest Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar for making buttercream.
If you would like to check our full range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars and Cocoa Powders click here.
In addition, you can decorate these classic cupcakes with buttercream flowers using our Nifty Nozzles, the genuine Russian piping tips.
This recipe is one that you will return to time and time again. Furthermore, the buns don’t go dry around the edges.
As a general rule, we recommend eating them on the day of baking or within 24 hours for the best flavour, but they will last up to 2 days.
Check more recipes out here.
Ingredients Chocolate Coconut Butterfly Buns
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200° C, 180° C fan,350 F, Gas mark 4.
2. Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk together until pale yellow and frothy before adding the oil and milk and whisking again.
3. Add the sugar and whisk again and then stir in the flour and Sugar and Crumbs Chocolate Coconut Natural Flavoured Cocoa Powder (or any flavour of your choice). Be careful not to overbeat the mixture at this stage or your cupcakes will turn out tough and chewy. Just mix to get rid of the big lumps and ignore the little ones.
4. Grease a deep muffin tin and fill each hole about two-thirds of the way up, any higher and the cupcakes will overflow during baking. Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
5. When the time’s up, allow the cupcakes to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes. Don’t be too hasty getting them out as they’ll be quite delicate. When you do take them out, place them on a plate to cool completely.
6. Beat together the butter and Sugar and Crumbs Coconut Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (or any flavour of your choice) to create butter icing.
7. Then, divide the buttercream evenly between two bowls. Colour one pink and one green.
8. Roll out the green fondant icing to a few mm thick and cut out three or four leaves for each bun.
9. Use a sharp knife to cut the domed top off the first cake and then cut the top piece in half.
10. On one side of the cake’s flat top, pipe a couple of pink roses using your pink butter icing and Sugar and Crumbs Nifty Nozzles.
11. On the other side add a dollop of green butter icing and stick in the two halves of the cake’s top.
11. Finish off with a few fondant leaves and edible pearls and repeat with the rest of the cakes.