This Cherry Bakewell Frangipane recipe is very easy to make at home and in no time – delicious!
Impress your dinner party guests with gorgeous, gooey Cherry Bakewell made with homemade pastry.
This recipe in fact makes approximately for 8-10 servings and will take around 40 mins to bake. For leftovers, wrap it in a freezer bag, seal, and freeze for up to 3 months. Refresh them in a hot oven to crisp them up after defrosting, and then leave them to cool before filling.
Robert Allen is one of our amazing cake artists who joined us into the Sugar and Crumbs Kitchen for a Facebook Live.
During our Facebook Live, he demonstrated how to use our Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars to make these delicious Cherry Bakewell Frangipane.
In addition, you can also try baking fudge using our amazing range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars! If you would like to check our full range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars and Cocoa Powders click here.
We would like to thank Robert Allen who gave us this yummy recipe.
Ingredients Cherry Bakewell Frangipane
For the Pastry
175g Plain Flour
75g Cold Butter
25g Caster Sugar
1 Beaten Egg
For the Frangipane
100g Stork or Margarine
100g Sugar and Crumbs Cherry Bakewell Icing Sugar or flavour of your choice
3 Tablespoons Plain Flour
100g Ground Almonds
1 Medium Egg
1/2 Almond Extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C /160°C fan /Gas Mark 4.
For the pastry:
2. Mix the flour and butter in a food processor or by hand – rubbing the flour and butter together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Add the sugar and mix in briefly.
4. Add the egg and ½–1 tablespoon of water. Mix until the dough just holds together.
5. Coat the inside of your tin, with a little stork so your Frangipane will easily release.
6. Roll the pastry on a floured surface (about 3mm) and line your prepared fluted tin. Use the handle of a wooden spoon to press the pastry into the fluted tin.
7. Using a fork prick the base of the pastry. Chill your pastry base while you make the Frangipane.
For the Frangipane:
8. Mix the butter and Sugar and Crumbs Cherry Bakewell Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (or any flavour of your choice) together in a medium bowl, either by hand or using a hand-held electric whisk, until it is really soft and well combined.
9. Then beat in the ground almonds and plain flour.
10. Crack the egg in and add Almond extract. Beat it hard so everything is combined.
11. Remove the lined tin from the fridge and cover the base with your choice of jam. Add the Frangipane filling spreading it out evenly so it is nice and smooth on top.
12. Add flaked Almonds to the top of the Frangipane filling (optional).
13. Bake in the centre of the oven for 35-40 mins until golden brown.
Tip. Check after 20-25 mins. If the Frangipane is taking on too much colour, cover with baking parchment.
14. Once cooled decorate with a dusting of Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar of your choice.