1. Preheat the oven to 180°C /160°C fan /Gas Mark 4.
For the pastry:
2. Mix the flour and butter in a food processor or by hand – rubbing the flour and butter together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Add the sugar and mix in briefly.
4. Add the egg and ½–1 tablespoon of water. Mix until the dough just holds together.
5. Coat the inside of your tin, with a little stork so your Frangipane will easily release.
6. Roll the pastry on a floured surface (about 3mm) and line your prepared fluted tin. Use the handle of a wooden spoon to press the pastry into the fluted tin.
7. Using a fork prick the base of the pastry. Chill your pastry base while you make the Frangipane.
For the Frangipane:
8. Mix the butter and Sugar and Crumbs Cherry Bakewell Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (or any flavour of your choice) together in a medium bowl, either by hand or using a hand-held electric whisk, until it is really soft and well combined.
9. Then beat in the ground almonds and plain flour.
10. Crack the egg in and add Almond extract. Beat it hard so everything is combined.
11. Remove the lined tin from the fridge and cover the base with your choice of jam. Add the Frangipane filling spreading it out evenly so it is nice and smooth on top.
12. Add flaked Almonds to the top of the Frangipane filling (optional).
13. Bake in the centre of the oven for 35-40 mins until golden brown.
Tip. Check after 20-25 mins. If the Frangipane is taking on too much colour, cover with baking parchment.
14. Once cooled decorate with a dusting of Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar of your choice.
Here is the link to the YouTube video of this recipe.
Credits:By Robert Allen - @Rob_C_Allen on Twitter
We would like to thank Rob Allen who gave us this recipe.