Carrot Cake with Orange Zest Cream Cheese Frosting
- Prep Time : 10-15 minutes
- Cook Time : 35-40 minutes
- Yield : 12
- Carrots Peeled and Finely Grated - 200g
- Eggs Large - 4
- Self Raising Flour - 300g
- Light Muscavado Sugar/Light Brown Sugar - 225g
- Sunflower Oil - 250ml
- Baking Powder - 2 Tsp
- Sugar and Crumbs Orange Zest Icing Sugar - 75g
- Sugar and Crumbs Cinnamon Swirl icing Sugar - 50g
- Full Fat Cream Cheese - 250g Room Temperature
- Whole Walnuts/Chopped Nuts - Optional to decorate
- For a full covering of the cake
- Cream Cheese - 500g
- Sugar and Crumbs Orange Zest Icing Sugar - 100g
1) Preheat the oven to 180c and grease or line two 8 inch cake tins.
2) Mix the oil, sugar and eggs and whisk until combined, fold in the grated carrots, flour, baking powder and Cinnamon Swirl icing sugar.
3) Divide the mix between the two tins and bake in the oven for 35-40 mins or until the top is golden and it has risen well. Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
4) To make the cream cheese frosting add the cream cheese and the Orange Zest icing sugar together in a clean bowl and whisk together until fully blended.
5) When the cake is cooled, put one of the cakes onto a serving plate and slice off the dome part, place to one side, spread about half of the cream cheese over the top of the cake and then place the second cake on top, spread an even layer of cream cheese over the top using a palette knife and decorate with the walnuts if using and a dusting of icing sugar.
Or you can add the cream cheese frosting into a piping bag, cut off the end about and inch from the tip and pipe blobs around the edge of the bottom layer and fill the middle with cream cheese and using a palette knife spread evenly, add the top layer then pipe blobs again add walnuts to decorate and then sieve some of the remaining icing sugar on top
Or to cover the entire cake, use the larger amount of cream cheese frosting and spread a good layer on top of the bottom layer add the top layer then spread over the top and up the sides with a palette knife you can do a thin or thick layer, use a cake scraper to get a smooth finish or a textured caper for a different look, decorate with chopped nuts, walnuts or grated carrot.