- Prep Time : 30 minutes
- Cook Time : 2hrs 30 minutes
- Yield : 20-24
- To Soak Ingredients, than leave for 1 week
- 450g (1lb) Mixed Dried Fruit
- 150g (5 oz) Tropical Fruit Mix
- 100g (3 ½ oz) Chopped Prunes
- 70g (2 ½ oz) Chopped Stem Ginger, Fresh or in a jar
- 70g (2 ½ oz) Halved Glace Cherries
- Zest of 2 Oranges
- 300ml Dark Rum or Brandy or Whisky
- Cake Mix
- 175g (6 oz) Stork Block
- 175g (6 oz) Dark Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs or 4 Medium Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Black Treacle
- 200g (7 oz) Plain Flour you can use Gluten Free Plain Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Mixed Spice
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 100g (3 ½ oz) Whole Almonds, roughly chopped - these are optional - remove if you have Nut Allergies
- To Cover
- 450g (1 lb) Marzipan - For Nut Allergines use a thinner coat of Sugarpaste
- Sieved Apricot Jam
- 500g pack of Sugar Paste
- For the Decorations:
- Christmas theme moulds or mould of your choice
- Various bits and bobs you fancy to decorate your cake.
- I am using glitter spray, lustre spray etc.
- Ready Made Royal Icing
- Sugarpaste for moulds
- Place all dried ingredients into a bowl, stir together with choice of liquid, we're using Dark Rum you can use brandy or whisky if you prefer. Do this for one week. Keep ingredients in a sealed airtight container.
The Following Week
- You will need to prepare you cake mix.
- Place Stork butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl, beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one by one with the dark treacle. Take bowl away from the mixer, fold in flour, spices, nuts (optional) and the soaked fruits.
- Place in a greased and double lined 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin. Smooth top with back of a wet metal spoon, with a dip in the centre.
- Bake on middle shelf of preheated oven 150°C, 140°C fan, Gas mark 2. Look at cake after first 2 ½ hours, then at regular ½ hourly intervals until cooked. Allow to cool on a cooling rack before removing from tin.
- Marzipan: Brush the cake with apricot jam. Roll out the marzipan, with icing sugar to prevent sticking, into a circle large enough to cover the cake. Place over the cake and smooth over the top and sides. Trim edges.
- Allow marzipan to dry 48 hours before icing.
- Knead the white icing on a work surface dusted with icing sugar, until soft and pliable. Roll out icing about 7.5cm (3 inches) larger all round than the top of the cake, place over cake and smooth over evenly until the cake is completely covered. Trim icing at bottom of cake.
Decorating a cake is down to personal choice, I have used a collection of Karen Davies and Katy Sue Silicone moulds
- Temperature: 140 oC
- Baking time:
- Serves: 20
Here is a short video with the key steps