Please note you will have to adapt some of this recipe to suit your dietary requirements. I have added below a recipe for Nut Free Marzipan. Please check all packs of dried fruits to ensure they are gluten free and suitable for vegetarian diets
- To Soak Ingredients, than leave overnight
- 450g (1lb) Mixed Dried Fruit
- 150g (5 oz) Tropical Fruit Mix
- 100g (3 ½ oz) Chopped Prunes
- 70g (2 ½ oz) Chopped Stem Ginger, Fresh or in a jar
- 70g (2 ½ oz) Halved Glace Cherries
- Zest of 2 Oranges
- 300ml Brewed Tea or Fruit Juices
- Cake Mix
- 175g (6 oz) Stork Block or Margarine of Choice
- 175g (6 oz) Dark Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs or 4 Medium Eggs or Egg Substitute
- 2 Tablespoons Black Treacle
- 200g (7 oz) Gluten Free Plain Flour
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Mixed Spice
- To Cover
- Sieved Apricot Jam
- 450g (1 lb) Marzipan - For Nut Allergines use a thinner coat of Sugarpaste or Nut Free Marzipan
- 500g pack of Sugar Paste
- For the Decorations:
- Sugar Paste
- Christmas theme moulds or mould of your choice
- Various bits and bobs you fancy to decorate your cake.
- I am using glitter spray, lustre spray etc.
- Ready Made Royal Icing
- Sugarpaste for moulds
- Place all dried ingredients into a bowl, stir together with choice of liquid. Either use cooled brewed strong tea, or fresh orange juice, Leave overnight to soak in an sealed airtight container. If your using orange juice or fresh juice, than keep ingredients in the fridge.
The Following Day
- You will need to prepare you cake mix.
- Place stork butter or alternative margarine of your choice, suitable for vegetarians, add sugar in a large mixing bowl, beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one by one with the dark treacle. Take bowl away from the mixer, fold in flour, spices, nuts (optional) and the soaked fruits.
- Place in a greased and double lined 20cm (8 inch) Round or Square cake tin. Smooth top with back of a wet metal spoon, with a dip in the centre.
- Bake on middle shelf of preheated oven 150°C, 140°C fan, Gas mark 2. Look at cake after first 2 hours, then at regular 10 minute intervals until cooked. Allow to cool on a cooling rack before removing from tin.
- Marzipan: Brush the cake with apricot jam. Roll out the marzipan, with icing sugar to prevent sticking, into a circle large enough to cover the cake. Place over the cake and smooth over the top and sides. Trim edges.
- Allow marzipan to dry 48 hours before icing.
- Knead the white icing on a work surface dusted with icing sugar, until soft and pliable. Roll out icing about 7.5cm (3 inches) larger all round than the top of the cake, place over cake and smooth over evenly until the cake is completely covered. Trim icing at bottom of cake.
Decorating a cake is down to personal choice, I have used a collection of Karen Davies and Katy Sue Silicone moulds
- Temperature: 140 oC
- Baking time:
- Serves: 20-24
Nut Free Marzipan Recipe
- 200g (7oz) fine semolina or cornmeal
- 200g icing sugar
- 150g (5oz) softened butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract