If you’ve never made your own crepes before, you’ll be amazed at how quick and easy this Blood Orange, Cardamom, Vanilla Crepe Cake recipe is.
In fact, this stunning, vanilla crepe cake might look extra impressive but they’re surprisingly easy to make.
In addition, these wickedly gooey puds will score you top marks for an indulgent end to your romantic meal. Make them in advance and keep in the fridge until you’re ready to cook them so you can kick back, relax and concentrate on working your magic.
Ryan Stafford, @ryanchefstafford on Instagram, is one of our amazing cake artists who joined us into the Sugar and Crumbs Kitchen for a Facebook Live.
During our Facebook Live, he demonstrated how to use our Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars to make this delicious crepe cake.
You can also catch up our Facebook Live here.
In addition, you can also try making this recipe using our amazing range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars! Try to combine them too.
If you would like to check our full range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars and Cocoa Powders click here.
Check more recipes out here.
1. Place flour in the mixing bowl first.
2. Add eggs one at a time until a paste is formed.
3. Add milk slowly while mixing until a nice fluid is achieved with no lumps.
4. Your batter is now complete.
5. Melt butter in a pan and then turn off the heat.
6. Brush a small amount of melted butter on the hot crepe pan.
7. Pour enough batter to cover the pan thinly.
8. Cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute each side until desired colour is reached.
9. Repeat steps 2-4 until all the mixture is used. Approximately 10-12 crepes.
10. Each crepe can be placed on to a baking tray, one on top of each other to cool, until ready to put together.
11. Slice the skin off the oranges, then slice.
12. Place cardamom pods on a baking tray and toast in the oven for around 4-5 minutes until toasted.
13. Put water in pan with vanilla pod or vanilla bean paste, Sugar and Crumbs Orange Zest Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (you can use any flavour of your choice) and cardamom pods. Bring to the boil and simmer until reduced by half. This takes about 5-8 minutes.
14. Take off the heat and add sliced oranges and mint. Set aside in the pan to cool.
15. Place cream into the mixing bowl with 2 tablespoons of Sugar and Crumbs Orange Zest Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar (or any flavour of your choice).
16. Use your whisk attachment on your mixer and beat on medium to fast speed. DO NOT MOVE AWAY. You need to watch the cream until it gets to the right consistency or it could curdle. If you do curdle your cream just add more cream slowly to bring the cream back to the right consistency.
Now to build your Crepe Cake
17. Place your first crepe onto your presentation plate. Then put a thin coat of fresh cream on top and continue to do this until all layers are on top of each other.
18. Once built, you can leave it or place a small plate on top. Cut around the sides of the cake to make it nice and neat if required.
19. Place the rest of your cream on top, nice and thick.
20. Take out the oranges from the syrup and place in selective places on the top layer. Using a spoon, drizzle the syrup all over the top. Here is the link to the YouTube video for this recipe.