Victoria Sponge Cake - 8 inch mix
Fan Assisted - 140 Centigrade
Gas Mark 1
Normal electric ovens 275 Fahrenheit
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 40 minutes
- Yield : 8-16
- 8oz Castor Sugar - or 225g of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar
- 8oz (225g) Margarine - I prefer Stork
- 8oz (225) of Self Raising Flour - I prefer McDougalls Supreme Sponge Flour
- 4 Large Free Range Eggs
- Food Colouring - I prefer Colour Splash range
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract - I prefer Taylor & ColleIge
- 2 Tablespoons warm boiled water
- Place Castor Sugar (or our Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar) and Margarine into a mixer bowl, blend until light and fluffy.
- Add Flavouring and blend.
- Add eggs one at a time only add the next egg when egg one is incorporated.
- If mix starts to curdle, add a tablespoon of the flour from your weighed out ingredients.
- Now add flour and fold in, do not mix in. If you mix in you will knock the air out.
- Add warm boiled water and colouring ( amount of colouring depends on how deep you want your colour)
- Now divide your mix between 2 x 8inch sandwich pans - use good quality pans.
- Pop both layers into the oven at the same time, one on each shelf and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes on low.
- Test with a cake test to see if its baked.