Rob Allens' Cherry Bakewell Frangipane made on Sugar and Crumbs Facebook Live 19th April 2018
Rob will be making a Cherry Bakewell version but you can use any of the Sugar and crumbs Icing sugars
- Prep Time : 50 minutes
- Cook Time : 40 minutes
- Yield : 8
For the Pastry
Make the pastry, either by mixing the flour and butter in a food processor or by hand – rubbing the flour and butter together with your fingertips, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
* Add the sugar and mix in briefly
* Add the egg and ½–1 tablespoon of water. Mix until the dough just holds together.
Coat the inside of your tin, with a little stork, so your Frangipane will easily release.
Roll the pastry on a floured surface (about 3mm) and line your prepared fluted tin. Use the handle of a wooden spoon to press the pastry into the fluted tin.
Using a fork, prick the base of the pastry. Chill your pastry base, while you make the Frangipane.
Preheat the oven to 180°C /160°C fan /Gas Mark 4.
For the Frangipane
* Mix the butter and icing sugar together in a medium bowl either by hand or using a hand-held electric whisk, until it is really soft and well combined.
* Then beat in the ground almonds and plain flour.
* Crack the egg in and add Almond extract, then beat it hard so everything is combined.
Remove the lined tin from the fridge and add cover the base with your choice of Jam and add the Frangipane filling, spreading it out evenly so it is nice and smooth on top.
Add flaked Almonds to the top of the Frangipane filling (Optional)
Bake in the centre of the oven for 35-40 mins, until golden brown.
Tip. Check after 20-25 mins, If the Frangipane is taking on too much colour, cover with baking parchment.
Once cooled decorate with a dusting of icing sugar.