Our Sugar & Crumbs Cinnamon Swirl Icing Sugar is the perfect addition to these lovely, moist carrot cupcakes. They’re only a little bit more effort than your usual carrot cake, and they look so pretty it’s definitely worth it.
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 25 minutes
- Yield : 6
- For the cupcakes:
- Plain flour - 140g
- Caster sugar - 100g
- Sugar & Crumbs Cinammon Swirl Icing Sugar - 65g
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
- A pinch of salt
- Grated carrot - 150g (usually about 2 carrots)
- Vegetable oil - 160ml
- Eggs - 2
- For the icing:
- Butter - 100g
- Cream cheese - 170g
- Sugar & Crumbs Cinammon Swirl Icing Sugar - 170g
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (160°C fan). Weigh out the flour, caster sugar, Sugar & Crumbs Cinnamon Swirl Icing Sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt, and mix them all together.
2. Beat the eggs briefly with the oil (they won’t really combine, but that’s ok) and then add to the dry ingredients along with the grated carrot. Stir so it’s all just combined – you mustn’t over beat the mixture, or the cupcakes will turn out rubbery, so just give it a quick stir so there aren’t any big lumps of flour.
3. Grease a muffin tin and fill each cup about two-thirds of the way up with mixture. Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until the cupcakes are golden-brown and springy.
4. Allow the cakes to cool in the tin for a little while, and then gently ease them out and cool them on a plate – they’ll be quite delicate, so if you use a wire rack they might get damaged.
5. To make the icing, beat together the butter, cream cheese and Sugar & Crumbs Cinnamon Swirl Icing Sugar until smooth. Fit a piping bag with a round nozzle (about 1cm diameter should do the trick) and pipe the icing onto the top of the cupcakes in a generous swirl. Tip - if the icing is a little runny to pipe neatly, just pop it in the fridge for half an hour.